Use Your Brain to Change Your Pain!
Pain is an attention magnet. It’s an alert system that pulls your attention right to it. Having your attention drawn to pain is good because it lets you know you have an injury and can take it. However, focusing too much on the pain can lead to the pain becoming chronic.
When you focus on a specific part of your body, that part becomes more active in your brain. Your neurology lights up, and the sensation of the part you focus on gets more prominent. So if you are focusing on pain, the pain gets larger in your brain, using more cortical real estate, and your sensations intensify.
Learning to move your attention is an essential skill to reduce pain and increase pleasure.
In this audio series, Donna and Al will present lessons that teach you ways to move your attention away from pain to what feels good.
We will explore using your breath, moving awareness, and engaging your imagination to reduce pain and increase pleasure.
Listen to the Introduction
Table of Contents:
- 1Course Introduction - Donna & Al - 3:37
- 2Lesson 1 - Breathing - Donna - 25:08
- 3Discussion - On Breathing - Donna - 1:54
- 4Discussion - How Imagery Affects Sensation - Al - 2:25
- 5Lesson 2 - Lengthening - Al - 24:07
- 6Discussion - Predictive Brain, Moving Attention, Going with the Pattern - Donna & Al - 9:13
- 7Lesson 3 - Hands and Feet - Donna - 28:37
- 8Discussion - Changing the Real Estate of Your Brain - Donna & Al - 6:14
- 9Lesson 4 - Tilting the Legs - Al - 21:46
- 10Closing Comments - Donna & Al
Gail (verified owner) –
I’ve been doing ATM lessons with various teachers, including Al Wadleigh, for many years, and found them to be extremely helpful physically and mentally. I have been enjoying the podcast that Al and Donna Ray do because it explains the useful and interesting education aspects of the method. This new pain series is a good value, and I’m looking forward to listing to it as needed.